Thursday, April 3, 2008

Windy Road Flashbacks

Although we're right in the middle of our Maui series, I thought I'd take a little break. One of the highlights of our trip on Maui was the weekend when we went to Hana. As you may have heard, the Road to Hana is a very windy, narrow road. You can read the Wikipedia article here. There is, however, a similiar, albeit shorter, road on the Big Island. It's known as Saddle Road and it connects Hilo and Waimea. Like the Road to Hana, Saddle road is windy, sometimes narrow and it has many one-lane bridges. Compound that with a fog that usually settles in at night and you have one harrowing experience.

Well last year instead of going to Maui, we went to the Big Island. We were in Hilo and we wanted to get back to our hotel, Uncle Billy's, in Kona as quickly as possible. Since my wife is from the Big Island she volunteered to make the drive. Of course she chose to drive on the Saddle Road because she is quite familiar with it. We had no idea what we were in for...



Keao grading at Uncle Billy's

As I mentioned earlier, there is lots of fog on that road so the visibility is very poor. Add that to the windy road and it made for a really jerky, swervy ride. Well prior to us leaving Hilo, Dural, being the nice guy that he is, offered to buy us ice cream from Cosmic Cones. Bad move Dural, bad move. It would come back up to bite him.

As we were driving down the road Dural starting to look a little green. I mean, the dude looked miserable. Now, I sometimes get seasick so I know how terrible it feels to be nauseous. About halfway through the ride I guess he couldn't handle it any longer...he weakly called out to Keao, "Can you pull over?" Of course she obliged and we waited for Dural to get out and do his business. What happened next surprised us. Instead of opening the door, he simply started repeating the word "drive."

Drive you say? So Keao started to slowly pull away. "No, the car is in drive," was the response. Apparently he couldn't get the door open because the car was in drive. This car needed the car to be in park before he could open the door. Hee hee. Keao quickly threw the car in park and Dural bolted out of the van and upchucked his entire milkshake from Cosmic Cones. I mean, he really launched it! He barely even made it out of the van when we heard the giant splat.

*sigh* These were the thoughts that ran through my mind right before we started to make our way on the Road to Hana. I really hoped we didn't see a repeat...

Guess who made this little mess?

There's the proud papa!

4 comments:

keao said...

oh, boy, this one had me rolling...I mean seriously LMAO in our livingroom at 2 in the morning. Why am I up at 2 in the morning? I don't know...maybe cause I work until 11 and I had a coke at 10:30. I'm wired.

Look, I'm wearing my maryknoll shirt (I don't know where that shirt went)...and look, I'm grading. Man, my life was so sad in those days. I'm still not sleepy, I wonder if I could try to wake you up. hmm....

Anonymous said...

Wow absolutely impressive, I think the truly impressive part is not the unholy quantity of it all, which is vaguely reminiscent of the little girl in the exorcist or the sheer splatter range, the truly impressive part is Dural smiling after doing it.

It is probably a good thing he wasn't in my car he might have uhm not liked it so much, cause I drove fast although I tried not to "take" every turn and crossed the double yellow solid as many times as I could. I heard you can cut five miles off the trip that way.

brycewat said...

Scott,

Very cool to see what you've been up to! Are your punchlines still making people queasy? Jus kiddin'. Miss you man.

Mike said...

I can't read this title without saying Wind-Y, as in "lots of wind". Not "Win(e)-Dy, I mean I know you mean that it had many curves, but for some reason my brain won't accept it.

About Me

Howzit? Good I hope! I am a staff pastor at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay in beautiful Kaneohe, Hawaii. I was born and raised in Kaneohe, a quaint little town on the Windward side of Oahu (we are civilized to have two Starbucks here). I currently run the Singles and Couples ministry as well as the Sports ministry at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay. I am married to a wonderful, beautiful woman who keeps me in check. If you have any questions hit me up. I'd love sit down and talk story. Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you again real soon!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .