Saturday, April 19, 2008

It's Like the Masters, Only with Plastic Fish, a VW Bug and Waterfalls

Ah the Masters...held during the first full week of April, Augusta National Golf Club hosts golf's first major of the year. To celebrate this wonderful golf tournament, we decided to play a little round of miniature golf at Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park's miniature golf course. Actually, our intent was to go Box Car Racing with some of our friends from New Hope but due to a small miscommunication we couldn't get on the track and had to go for Plan B. No worries, my life is is full of plan b's and c's and sometimes even d's.


This is about as close as we got to the race track.

So unfortunately for Steve, who kept threatening to put all of us into a wall, we headed over to Kapolei and got ready for a round of 18 holes of fun and excitement.

Hawaiian Waters opened this course last year and this is the second time I'm playing it. I must say, as far as miniature golf on Oahu goes, this is one of the best courses (although there isn't much competition). It has many little fun challenges and it's not overly penalizing.



Are you up for the challenge? Of course you are!

So after breaking up into foursomes and fivesomes we teed it up and started playing. A few weeks ago, Mikey asked Dural, "Do you own any shirts with sleeves?" I think this is a reasonable question, since Dural's main wardrobe really does seem to consist of tank tops. So the question really is, "Why does Dural only wear tank tops?" I think I may have an answer...


Need some tickets...to the gun show?

But anyway, our fivesome consisted of me, Kevin, Tricia, Angie and Steve. Not to brag, but if you were going to pick a winner from this group who would you pick? If I were you (and I'm not), I would say the safe money would have to be on me. I'm not trying to be conceited or anything, I'm just trying to be honest :)

But since I felt I had the best chance at winning, I decided to spice things up by making a side bet here and there. For example, on the second nine, there is a hole under a waterfall that's relatively short and straight. So I proposed to my group that whoever had the highest score on the hole would have to stick their head under the waterfall. Seems fair eh?

Well as it played out, we all took our first shot and I ended up around a foot from the hole. After everyone played their first shot, I was the closest followed by Tricia, Steve, Angie and Kevin (with Kevin being around 6 feet away).

Angie hitting her second putt with Kevin studying the line.

Since I was the closest to the hole I went first (I know, I know, it's opposite of real golf) and finished with a 2. Tricia, Angie and Steve all missed their second putts and finished with a 3. Kevin, who was the furthest from the hole, now got ready to hit his second putt. Now I should mention, Kevin had not made a clutch putt all day. It seemed that if there was any hint of pressure on him to win or tie a hole he just couldn't do it. He would pull his putt one way, he would push it another. It was amazing...he would just crumble.

However No. 12 was different. Although I expected him to miss miserably as he had done all day, he somehow confidently stepped up to his ball and stroked it pure. And wouldn't you know? He sunk the darn putt. How completely unexpected!

With Kevin safely in at 2, it meant that Angie, Tricia and Steve lost the bet and therefore had to stick their heads under the waterfall.

There's Angie barely getting her head wet.


Tricia was a little more into it.

Steve decided to take a bath.

I'm glad they were all good sports and they all held up their end of the deal. Overall it was a fun long day on the west side. I'm not sure when we're going to do this again since it was all the way in Kapolei, but if we do, I'm sure I will be the victor again!

To see all the pictures from the day click here.

No comments:

About Me

Howzit? Good I hope! I am a staff pastor at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay in beautiful Kaneohe, Hawaii. I was born and raised in Kaneohe, a quaint little town on the Windward side of Oahu (we are civilized to have two Starbucks here). I currently run the Singles and Couples ministry as well as the Sports ministry at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay. I am married to a wonderful, beautiful woman who keeps me in check. If you have any questions hit me up. I'd love sit down and talk story. Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you again real soon!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .