Saturday, April 5, 2008

Maui Memories Part 3

A few days before I left for Maui, Keao and I took Cassandra (Keao's sister) and Lauren (our niece) to the beach. Unfortunately for me, while I was washing off Lauren, I got stung by a bee. The bad news is that I'm allergic to bees (well their poison anyway), the good news is that I'm not dead. Keao wrote about it here.

So by the time I reached Maui my foot was still swollen and a little sore. Although it wasn't terribly bad, I decided to take some antihistamines. I didn't realize it at the time, but antihistamines make you really, really drowsy. Combine that with my lack of sleep and by Friday morning, I was pretty much useless.

There were others, however, that decided to go up to Haleakala to watch the sun rise. Haleakala or "house used by the sun" is the world's largest dormant volcano and it's a very popular place to watch the sun rise and set. On paper it sounded quite dandy, but in real life, leaving Kihei at 3:45am didn't sound too appealing to me.

Since I didn't actually go to Haleakala, these next pictures are credited to Joy, Keidi and Lisa.

Marti, Keidi, Lisa, Jasen, Alex, Joy and Kevin smiling at the summit.

The sun as it rises above the clouds.

In addition to being so high up (according to a sign 10,023 feet above sea level) Haleakala is the only place in which the silversword grows. It's kind of a cool plant that resembles a tumbleweed.


The Haleakala Silversword

So by the time the Haleakala group came back to Kihei, it was around 2:30pm and I was still a little groggy from the medication I took. Even though I was in somewhat of a stupor I still noticed that Jasen walked in wearing only a long sleeve T-shirt and workout pants. Now I know that Jasen is tough, but I also know that Haleakala before sunrise can be absolutely freezing. I mean I think the normal temperature is somewhere in the 30's and 40's and it's been known to snow up there. So when Jasen walked in the door dressed the way he was, I was surprised.

Here's a short transcription of our conversation:

Me: Eh, Jasen, is that the way you dressed for Haleakala? Weren't you cold?

Jasen: Brah, it was freezing!

Me: So why didn't you dress warmer?

Jasen: Because, when I woke up, I saw Kevin walking out the door smiling and wearing just a T-shirt and shorts. I thought to myself, brah, that guy is gonna be cold! Then, when we got to the top, I seen him start taking out all these jackets and pants!

Me: I told you to dress warm!

Jasen: I thought I was dressing warm! This is Hawaii!

Not too worry though. Lisa did let him use her jacket and some people brought along extra blankets.

Hey Mister, can I have my jacket back?

A picture perfect rainbow in Upcountry.

1 comment:

Joy said...

I love the picture of Jasen in Lisa's jacket. It just barely covers his shoulders and that's about it. It was so funny. And man was it cold. But worth it! What a beautiful sunrise!

About Me

Howzit? Good I hope! I am a staff pastor at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay in beautiful Kaneohe, Hawaii. I was born and raised in Kaneohe, a quaint little town on the Windward side of Oahu (we are civilized to have two Starbucks here). I currently run the Singles and Couples ministry as well as the Sports ministry at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay. I am married to a wonderful, beautiful woman who keeps me in check. If you have any questions hit me up. I'd love sit down and talk story. Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you again real soon!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .