Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Gee, It's Bigger Than I Thought

You know, there are many times in a man's life where he likes to hear the the words, "Gee, it's bigger than I thought". I'll let your mind wander around for a while and think of a few situations...okay, are you back?

Yesterday I heard that phrase but it was in a totally unpleasant way. Totally unpleasant. Where was I you may ask? Well I'll tell you. I was in my dentist's chair. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not really a big fan of dentists. Don't get me wrong, I really like my dentist as a person. He's actually my classmate (which was a little awkward at first) and my friend. When I see him at football games or at restaurants we always talk story and what not, but as soon as he puts on the mask and gloves I immediately tense up.

So back to yesterday. This was a follow up visit because one of my fillings came loose and he needed to take it out and refill it. So while he was in there I heard those dreaded words, "Gee, it's bigger than I thought". Yikes.

This actually really bums me out. I mean I brush and floss daily. I use a mouthwash. What more do I need to do? Why do I keep getting cavities?

So I was sitting there in the chair and Kevin, my classmate/dentist, just finished injecting me with whatever painkiller he used and he was ready to go. To me there is nothing more unnerving than the whir of the dentist's drill. Anytime I hear it I always tense up. I mean, I'm sitting there and I'm clinching my fists and curling my toes and my back is all tight. Even though I keep telling myself to relax and I try to breathe slowly and loosen my muscles within 30 seconds I'm already tense again. Augh!

It's so sad that I'm so conditioned to fear the dentist. I mean he's a really nice guy and I know he wants the dental experience to be painless as possible, but I can't help but dread that once-every-six-months visit. So after an hour of sitting there telling myself it's not going to hurt (and it really didn't) it was finally over and I was free to go. Yay! Now my next six month countdown begins again.

2 comments:

keao said...

you should try lying on your hands...it at least hides your hands from your dentist...thus fooling them into thinking you don't fear them

brycewat said...

Hey man,
I just did the same thing a few weeks ago! What I really enjoyed about the experience is the insane smell that seemed to come from my own mouth, as if a stink goblin crawled into that puka and hid there for my dentist to find. Talk about akward. So kisses anyone? BTW - i'm doing marketing for Tihati Productions, do a bunch of ad/marketing graphics stuff, and ocasionally get sent away to take photos of our events.

About Me

Howzit? Good I hope! I am a staff pastor at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay in beautiful Kaneohe, Hawaii. I was born and raised in Kaneohe, a quaint little town on the Windward side of Oahu (we are civilized to have two Starbucks here). I currently run the Singles and Couples ministry as well as the Sports ministry at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay. I am married to a wonderful, beautiful woman who keeps me in check. If you have any questions hit me up. I'd love sit down and talk story. Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you again real soon!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .