Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Brush with (possible) Greatness

Whew what a crazy weekend! I think I'll probably have to do three posts just to cover Saturday alone (actually Sunday was rather mundane so it was really only Saturday that was very exciting).

The day started out fine and dandy. I had several events scheduled so I knew it would be along day. It started with golf outing at Olomana, then a couples game night and then lastly, Jenny's surprise going-away party.

My day really got exciting at Olomana. Now I know what you're thinking, "what's so exciting about playing at Olomana?" and the answer would be nothing really. Olomana is a nice course, but I would daresay it's not very exciting. However, I'm not really sure if you've been following the local news here in Hawaii, but there's a certain Presidential candidate that's from here and is here on vacation. So I guess what do Presidential candidates from Hawaii like to do whilst on vacation in Hawaii? You guessed it, he likes to play golf at Olomana. Of course, the "he" I'm referring to is Barack Obama.

When we first got to Olomana, my bonus dad, Pat saw a news vehicle and thought out loud, "I wonder if Obama's playing here? He did bring his golf clubs and he did say this was his favorite course." But we thought, what are the odds of him being at the same place as us? Apparently they're pretty good. By the time we found a parking space and got our clubs we noticed in addition to the Junior Golfers, there were also some Secret Service around! Pat went into the pro shop and jokingly asked when Obama would get here. Much to his surprise (and delight) the lady answered, "he just called and he's on his way."

So much for a quiet round! Right after we left the pro shop he walked right past me and went in to pay for his round (I'm guessing). I was on the phone with John-John at the time and I explained to him that I needed to hang up and go meet the Presidential candidate! Alas, there are no pictures of him and I because when I asked him if I could take a picture with him, he politely declined stating that if he let me take a picture with him then everyone else would want a picture too. I guess he was right, but I think I could've done it on the sly as not to draw attention to him (although he would later attract plenty of attention).

Here's the Senator signing autographs

As luck would have it we were in the group right in front of him. We were hoping he wouldn't be in a rush and bomb us with balls (he didn't). In fact, it was just the opposite. His group kind of played slowly and we eventually pulled away. It was a bit unnerving having the Secret Service constantly coming up to us to clear the fairway and make sure everything was safe.

The Secret Service (notice there golf clubs are nonexistent, just like their senses of humor)

Of course the media was there too. They were very polite as the golf course wouldn't let them on the property. They just had to wait by the 10th tee until Obama came around.

They told me they would put me on the news...they lied

We did have lots of fun though. Bob jokingly asked if there were more Secret Service around. I told him a surefire way to find out would be to start throwing golf balls at Obama or riding straight toward him in a menacing fashion and then wait to see who jumps out of the bushes and takes him down. Unfortunately no one was willing to try (not even Mikey). Because he was playing pretty slowly (and we were thankful for being in front of him and not behind) he didn't even finish his round.

Bob snapped this shot of him with his cell phone as they were leaving the golf course

Just think some people waited for hours just to see Obama at Keehi Lagoons when he first arrived. Also, tonight is a major fundraiser for him. The cost to go to this private sold-out fundraiser is $2300 a person. If you want to meet him in person you'd have to pony up another $10,000! For the small price of a round of golf, we got to meet him (shake hands, chat, etc...) and save $12,300 in the process! That's why I love golf.

Even though I didn't get a chance to take a picture of him, I did end up on the news. As you watch the video look for Pat, Mikey and myself. I appear at around the 45 second mark. I'm the dude with the white shirt with blue sleeves patting him on the back. And no, I didn't get tackled by the Secret Service...I love America!

To view the rest of the pictures of the day click here.

1 comment:

keao said...

ha ha...i love your suggestion to bob. But my favorite part is the reiteration of the notion that he played slowly, because I know that is golfing sin in your book. (so is me using "golfing" as a word since you insist it is not). I hope Obama doesn't know that he may have lost voters because he didn't play by your golf rule

"You don't have to play well, just play fast."

About Me

Howzit? Good I hope! I am a staff pastor at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay in beautiful Kaneohe, Hawaii. I was born and raised in Kaneohe, a quaint little town on the Windward side of Oahu (we are civilized to have two Starbucks here). I currently run the Singles and Couples ministry as well as the Sports ministry at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay. I am married to a wonderful, beautiful woman who keeps me in check. If you have any questions hit me up. I'd love sit down and talk story. Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you again real soon!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .