Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Quick Side Trip to Hilo

When we normally do these golf trip they usually last four days and we play three rounds of golf. One day we set aside for sightseeing and just general relaxing. On this particular day we decided to visit Ted's parents in Honomu but before we met up with them we cruised around Hilo town.

Our first stop in Hilo was Two Ladies' Kitchen. They are famous for their homemade mochi and manju. Mochi is a very popular food around New Years so this place was packed and they also mentioned that they were not taking any custom orders so whatever you saw you could buy. If you didn't see it on the counter it wasn't for sale.



A simple sign lets people know they've arrived




The variety pack (Mike already took and ate his)




Ted sampling a sweet potato mochi

After we grabbed our omiyage to take home to the grandparents we proceeded to Ken's Pancake House. It's a Hilo landmark that reminds me of Hilo's version of Zippy's. The food's okay but it's popular because of their many menu selections and they're the only place open for 24 hours for miles around.

We met up with Nalani (who was one of the bridesmaids in Keao's wedding party) since she was in Hilo town to take her dad to the doctor. It's always fun coming to the Big Island because we get to see people that we don't normally see.



Here's almost half of our wedding party (sans John-John who is taking the picture)

After lunch we headed up to Ted's parent's house in Honomu. Ted's parents retired to the Big Island some 6 or 7 years ago, but it seems like they're busier now than they were when they were both working! They have become farmers and own a nice chunk of land up in Honomu. They took us up to the farm and showed us what they've accomplished. Let me tell you, they accomplished quite a bit. Ted's dad, Uncle Kenji, kept pointing here and there and saying, "Aunty Faith and I put this up...took us two days (or a month or however long)". And he wasn't just pointing at small stuff. He was pointing at walls and warehouses! I know their plan is to eventually move to the farm as he is currently designing their home right now.



Ted with his parents, check out the view they'll have from their house!




This is the building Ted's parents put up...took about a month




Here's Ted by the stream that runs through the farm

Of course, I had to get into the farming lifestyle so they let me help around the place (and by help around the place I mean sit on some farm-type equipment).



Nothing runs like a Deere...too bad I couldn't take it for a spin




They did let me drive this 4x4 golf cart on steroids




It's just too bad I can't hear you

Even though we did get to putz around the place, most of our time there was spent feeding the spiders. Ted and Mike would catch grasshoppers to feed them and then use chopsticks to put them in the webs. I must say it is amazing to see how quickly the spiders can wrap up its prey. I was marveling about this my wife (who is from the Big Island) and all she could respond with was *sigh* "You city boys...". Little does she know I'm really from the country. I'm just pretending to be impressed by the spiders (from a very safe distance).




Can you see the huge spider in the upper left corner?


1 comment:

keao said...

That spider video was super cool. The spiders in our bathroom are so sluggish in comparison...I think living on Oahu has made them lazy.

About Me

Howzit? Good I hope! I am a staff pastor at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay in beautiful Kaneohe, Hawaii. I was born and raised in Kaneohe, a quaint little town on the Windward side of Oahu (we are civilized to have two Starbucks here). I currently run the Singles and Couples ministry as well as the Sports ministry at Hope Chapel Kaneohe Bay. I am married to a wonderful, beautiful woman who keeps me in check. If you have any questions hit me up. I'd love sit down and talk story. Thanks for stopping by, we hope to see you again real soon!

what is this?

Tell me when this blog is updated. . .